top of page

will I pay for these benefits?

How much will I pay for these benefits?

If you have SGLI coverage, you’ll pay a monthly premium that’ll be automatically taken out of your base pay. The current basic SGLI premium rate is 7 cents per $1,000 of insurance coverage. The premium includes an additional $1 per month for Traumatic Injury Protection coverage (TSGLI). Learn more about TSGLI

These are the SGLI premium rates effective July 1, 2014:

Coverage amount Monthly premium rate TSGLI premium Total monthly premium deduction$400,000$28.00$1.00$29.00$350,000$24.50$1.00$25.50$300,000$21.00$1.00$22.00$250,000$17.50$1.00$18.50$200,000$14.00$1.00$15.00$150,000$10.50$1.00$11.50$100,000$7.00$1.00$8.00$50,000$3.50$1.00$4.50

Applying for VGLI when you separate or retire

How do I apply for VGLI when I leave the military?

When you leave the military, you can apply for Veterans’ Group Life Insurance (VGLI) within 1 year and 120 days from your discharge for up to the amount of coverage you had through SGLI. Learn more about VGLI

You can also convert your SGLI policy into a civilian policy within 120 days from the date you left the military. Learn how to convert your SGLI coverage to an individual policy (PDF)

Can I get a free extension of my SGLI coverage if I’m disabled when I leave the military?

You may be able to keep your coverage for up to 2 years after the date you left the military if you’re within 2 years of your separation date and you meet either of the requirements listed below.

At least one of these must be true:

You’re totally disabled at the time of your discharge and unable to work, orNo matter your work status, you’ve had one of the following:Total loss of hearing in both earsLoss of speech that leaves you unable to talk—even in a whisper—without the help of an artificial devicePermanent (long-lasting) loss of use of both of your hands, feet, or eyes, or one hand and one foot, or one hand or foot and one eye

How do I apply for an SGLI Disability Extension?

You’ll need to apply for the Service members’ Group Life Insurance Disability Extension (SGLI-DE).

To apply, fill out the SGLI Disability Extension Application (SGLV 8715) and send it to the OSGLI address listed on the application. Download SGLV 8715 (PDF)

If you get approved, you’ll receive a notice 20 months after your separation date letting you know that your SGLI-DE will end and that you now have the option to pay a premium for Veterans’ Group Life Insurance (VGLI).

If you pay the premium, you’ll be able to keep your life insurance coverage for as long as you keep paying the premiums. Learn more about VGLI

What if I need help with my claim?

If you have questions about Service members’ or Veterans’ Group Life Insurance, you can call the Office of Service members’ Group Life Insurance (OSGLI) at 800-419-1473, or email the Prudential Insurance Company.

Which forms would my family member need?

To request an advance insurance payment for a service member who’s terminally ill, a family member would file a Claim for Accelerated Benefits (SGLV 8284). Download SGLV 8284 (PDF) To receive an insurance payment in their time of need, a family member would file a Claim for Death Benefits (SGLV 8283). Download SGLV 8283 (PDF) To help a service member get short-term financial support while recovering from a traumatic injury, a family member would work with the service member to file an Application for TSGLI Benefits (SGLV 8600). Download SGLV 8600 (PDF)

More information about your benefits

1 view0 comments

Recent Posts

See All

Our new pod cast Pod cast.


bottom of page